IUCN World Conservation Congress
The IUCN World Conservation Congress is a major international conservation event. Held on an annual basis, it aims to improve the management of the natural environment for human, social and economic development.
From 6 to 15 September 2012 in Jeju, Republic of Korea, leaders from government, the public sector, non-governmental organizations, business, UN agencies and social organizations will discuss and decide about the most pressing environment and development issues.
Sustainable tourism will be discussed through a couple of specialist groups and workshops:
- Product development and marketing sustainable ecotourism: Practical tools and applications for SMEs
- Sustainable practices and approaches: Good conservation outcomes from tourism and visitation to protected and environmentally sensitive areas
- Tourism visitation and value generated for protected areas: Options for Protected Planet
- Sustainable travel and eco-tourism
- Business & biodiversity: The role and the potential of the tourism industry
- Business skills for ecotourism operations
- Indigenous community engagement in tourism and World Heritage
- A plea for the conservation of cetaceans and the promotion of whale ecotourism (whale watching) in Africa